How Copper Mugs Can be Toxic to Your Health

A high amount of copper is poisonous and may lead to foodborne ailments. When the metal copper comes in contact with acidic drinks or food items, it may lead to leaching. Though rare, acute copper poisoning is a serious health issue which may occur after a long term exposure to copper. Consumption of large amounts of copper may lead to:
  •     Abdominal pain
  •     Diarrhea
  •    Jaundice
  •    Vomiting

Common symptoms of long term exposure to copper include the above-mentioned symptoms as well as the ones mentioned below:
  • Anemia symptoms
  • Chills
  • Burning sensation
  • Fever
  • Convulsions
  • Kidney failure 
  • Muscle aches
  • Metallic taste in the mouth
  • Shock
  • Weakness 
  • Nausea
Though drinking from a copper mug occasionally may not lead to any severe symptoms as in the case of long term copper exposure, it is crucial to have a clear idea of the amount of copper you need on a daily basis. When talking about copper toxicity you also need to keep in mind if you are using a copper cookware and if the water you consume travels through copper pipes or not. These small factors may add up to the amount of copper in your body and make things worse. 

Some researchers also believe that excess copper may also be a hidden cause of dementia. So for those who have copper pipes in their house, they might need to get it checked for an excessive amount of copper. 
Those who love to drink their Moscow mule in copper mug only, you need not worry, as you can still enjoy your Moscow mule in copper mugs. All you need to do is make sure that the copper mug in which you are getting served has a nickel or stainless lining on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment